Friday, August 7, 2009

The Recessionproof Gourmet

I have been bombarded lately with the word recession. Everybody I know is running around whining and griping and about recession and looming poverty and starvation. Mass starvation, I'm told since you do not have a job and you lost your home.



WOW!!!!! Then on the other hand I see the waste of food and the ideas some people have about what they eat. They can be very finicky. This reminds me of my cat, she has been raised (I am sorry to say) on commercial cat food. After that scare over the pets that died from that poisonous addition to pet foods, I cooked for her myself.



My home cooked cat food consisted of roasted breast of chicken, a few peas and carrots processed to her usual consistency with home made chicken broth. I also made her a beef version with sirloin steak, peas and carrots and home made beef broth. In both recipes I included some fat since cats need fat. When I presented these offerings to my beloved pet, I got the shock of my life.



She went over to her dish, looked at it, sniffed it then she looked at me in a most disgusted manner and said to me: "do YOU actually expect ME to eat this stuff?!!" She had the same reaction to both meal versions and I had to return to feeding her her regular diet from the vet.



EXCUSE ME already, I'm only trying to be nice to you and make sure I know what is in your food but cats can be ingrates!!!!



My dog, however thought she died and went to heaven and had no trouble almost licking the bottom off the dish since, of course she got to eat the cat food as well. I was cooking for the dog the same food but cheaper steak and all the chicken after I made soup. Since she got to eat the cat food as well she got extra, she had no problem with that. My dog was very appreciative but then dogs tend to be.



Anyway, this really is not about pet food but rather about some people's attitude to food and cooking. Are we not, now a days accustomed to sending out for pizza or pasta or any number of fast food meals at the expense of home cooked. I understand that most of us are really busy and tired after a long day at work but eating a diet of fast food is hard on our health and harder on our pocketbooks.



Does not being able to afford as many fast food meals constitute poverty? I tend to think not so for all of you who are of the same opinion as myself and are willing to try something really easy, something quite popular, in fact. Something that you are probably buying right now. How about some really awesome, homemade hamburgers? So Here goes...........



Truly Awesome Surprise Burgers


This recipe make four hamburgers


What you need:


1 pound extra lean hamburger

8 ounces of blue cheese

sliced green onions

2 tablespoons light cream


To make:


With wet hands and on a clean, wet board, flatten out the hamburger meat to an oblong shape of 12 X 6 inches. With a wet knife, cut the oblong into eight equal squares.


To make the filling:


Cream the blue cheese with the light cream, add the sliced green onions, mix lightly.


To assemble the hamburgers:


Spread equal amounts of filling on four of the squares of meat to about a quarter inch from the edges. Place a square of plain meat on top of each cheese spread meat square (you will need a wet wide spatula to lift the meat) and crimp the edges to seal. With the wet spatula lift each assembled hamburger off the board. Broil to the required doneness. YUMM!!!!


Serve on a bun as usual with whatever you usually serve your hamburgers with. These are incredible on a whole grain ciabatta bun.


I know these are not to evrybody's taste (I happen to love blue cheese) so here are a few more suggestions that I have tried.


Most popular with my family was a slice of salami (cut a little thicker) with a slice of Velveeta cheese (cut to the size of the salami with a cookie cutter)


And yet more suggestions: cripy fried bacon and a slice of avocado, sliced cheddar cheese and a slice of onion, cream cheese mixed with baby shrimp, cream cheese mixed with smoked oysters.

You see what I mean......the sky is the limit, try something of your own don't be shy.

It doesn't take that long and it's way better than any fast food you can buy and less expensive.


Above all, the people who constantly grumble about impending poverty are the ones who have the same attitude towards food as my cat. I have seen them waste food by putting a huge heap of food on their plate (like they are not likely to find food ever again) then eat a few fork fulls and throw the rest out. Please don't waste food.....there are people starving and if we don't waste food we can help others by having a few extra dollars to spare for the foodbank maybe and if we can't manage that at least we will not be as poor as we think we are. Even if we do not help anyone else, at least we will have a few bucks to spend on other things....like bills!!!!!
Till next time I hope you enjoy my two cents worth.




12 comments:

  1. I just read Griz's "plea for help" so I thought I would stop by. Apart from being a 20 year Internet dweeb, I also used to be a chef... feel free to ask me anything you like! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a recipe Blogger blog, same template. To get a photo of your food. Here's what I do. I have a digital camera. I take the photo of the finished recipe and put it on file on my computer. Edit your post. Click on the top where you see the little photo thingy it will open a new window where you can find the photo in your file. Click the photo and click save. Look for the "upload photo" button on Blogger and click it. Click "publish". Click "view blog" and see your photo. If you don't have a digital camera you will have to scan the picture into your file.

    I can shoot you a one way link from my site if you want, let me know. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read Griz's post as well, I'll be around most all day today so you can contact me. I've got a Skype account at masterofnone86, that is probably the best way of initially contacting me. If that doesn't work, just reply here in the comments and we'll see what we can work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I am more than happy to assist.

    Skype: Faithwisdomlove
    Yahoo mesg: Faithwisdomlove
    Msn: Faithwisdomlove

    You can learn from my current project too- Halloween Custume Ideas For Adults And Kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, lovely blog please feel free to contact me regarding free traffic building my website is http://carrieannsudlow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know a lot about blogger but I can help you with traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My post above doesn't go to a good profile, you can contact me at my web site
    www.onlinechristianbusinessopps.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting blog. I'll subsscribe and be back. I'll also pass it on to my wife, the "Unifficalcook" who has had a nice cooking blog for three plus years now.

    Kije afew others I came here because Griz said so ... what an army of followers that guy has, uncable to think for ourselves LoL.

    I was taken by your title and your premise ... how a setback on Wall Street has been honed to massive proportins by the medai frenzy. I'm an American. I live (by choice) in a poor country (Philippines) (there's no recession here, by the way, business is good). All Americnas (or Canucks) out to live "outside" themeslevs for a while and they they would know how well off they are even in bad times.

    I read a news article a couple days back about areal smart fellow who negotiated the price of a lawn mower down from $4000 to $3500, as an example of how the "crisis" was wreakinghavoc with business. Dude, if you can spen $3500 on a mower, you ain't in a "crisis". Anyway, enough ranring. If you need help on specific problems, give me ashout, I try to help. Davestarr @ Yahoo or XingR21 on Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there Vicky, like the others...I am here to help you out if you need any assistance.

    If you need some help, you can email me over at goodhuel@hotmail.com.

    Personally, I think I am going to have to try the bacon avacado combo...sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I found you on Grizzly's site. I put you site on foodforthoughttoday.wordpress.com blog roll. If you could add me to your blog roll that would be great.
    Thanks, Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read you needed some help to get traffic to your site. This site targets MLM reps but it teaches you how to market yourself and your product on the internet. Sign up for $1. It's a 14 day trial, watch all the videos during the 14 days and then cancel if you want. I know my comment sound like a sale, I apoligize, I don't mean to do that, you don't even have to post my comment. I just giving you a reference of what it helped me to get traffic to my site. The page is
    http://MySimpleMLMsystem.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Everybody who left a comment;

    This is Vicki, The great grandmother. I want to thank you all personally by email or online somehow but some of you are hard to get at, so I am going to post this big THANK YOU to all of you along with my skype vbamillions. Should anyone like to yack I'm on Eastern time and I'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete